As an adult, you’ve probably seen plenty of kids get braces, or maybe even your own have braces. You probably think it’s too late for you to get braces. You just have to live with your crooked teeth. That’s not the case at all! More and more adults are getting orthodontic treatment with braces or Invisalign because you’re never too old for the smile of your dreams!
Smiles by the Bay treats many adult patients. We know it’s more than just a question of building your confidence. Repairing orthodontic issues can relieve headaches and jaw pain, improve digestion, and improve your oral and overall health. It can also give you the smile you’ve always dreamed of having.
Is It Worth It to Get Braces for Adults?
We often hear from parents and other adults in our office that they’d love to repair their smiles, but they aren’t sure if adult braces are worth it. They think they’re “past their prime” on getting braces. We assure them that anyone can get braces anytime. You’re never “past the prime” for braces!
There’s a long list of great reasons why braces in adulthood are a good idea! Let’s explore some of them!
- Boost your self-esteem! — This may be our favorite reason, because we LOVE seeing our patients transform with a self-esteem boost from a straight smile! Your smile is your best first impression. You may feel less confident now about showing off that smile, but braces can change that completely!
- Improve your bite! — It can be hard to bite and chew your food with crooked teeth. Straightening your teeth can improve digestion because your food is chewed completely before it enters your stomach.
- Prevent tooth damage! — If your bite is misaligned, it can put excessive pressure on your jaw and teeth. Over time, this can damage or wear down your enamel, leading to chips, cracks, and breaks in your teeth.
- Make brushing easier! — It can be a challenge to get every surface of each tooth clean when you have crooked, gapped, or crowded teeth. Braces can make it easier to brush and floss your teeth, which reduces your chances of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Prevent jaw pain! — Misaligned teeth can put excess pressure on your jaw and jaw joint, called the temporomandibular joint. This can lead to jaw pain and TMJ Disorder, which causes joint pain, inflammation, and popping. Ouch!
- Reduce speech issues! — Your tongue needs to hit the right spot on your teeth to make certain sounds. That’s harder to do with crooked teeth. Straightening your teeth could reduce or eliminate lisps and other speech problems.
- Make breathing easier! — If your jaw or palate (roof of your mouth) is disformed, it can narrow your breathing passages and make it harder for you to breathe. This can lead to snoring or sleep apnea, which can be dangerous to your overall health. Straightening your teeth and jaws improves your breathing passages and makes breathing easier.
These are just a few of the many reasons why it’s a great idea to get braces as adults.
How Long Do Adults Wear Braces?
Typically, teenagers wear braces about 12-24 months for full treatment. For adults, it’s a bit longer, close to 18-30 months. You’re probably wondering why it’s longer for adults. It’s because teenagers’ jaws haven’t completely hardened because they’re still losing and erupting new teeth, which keeps the jaws malleable. Once all the teeth are in, the jaw hardens completely to hold the teeth in place for the rest of your life.
Because your jaw is set, it takes a bit more coaxing to get them moving again. We apply the same gentle pressure to your teeth that we would your child’s, but it takes a bit more time for the teeth to start moving. Eventually, the process that works on your kids will work on you, too. The bone around the tooth breaks down just enough for the tooth to move, and new bone builds up behind it after it moves. That process repeats until the teeth are where they should be and your treatment is finished!
Are Adult Braces Expensive?
Braces for adults cost about what they do for children or slightly, depending on the type and length of treatment. Keep in mind, braces are an investment in your oral health, your emotional health, and your overall health!
At Smiles by the Bay, we try to make braces treatment as affordable as possible, so we offer several financing options. We don’t charge more for Invisalign compared to braces. We offer flexible downpayments and monthly payment plans that can run from 18-24 months. We also work with your insurance company to see what they will cover.
In addition, Smiles by the Bay takes part in the Maryland Healthy Smiles program to make oral heatlhcare more accessible. A child who qualifies for the Maryland Healthy Smiles program can get braces or Invisalign without any out-of-pocket costs.
Orthodontist Annapolis, Kent Island, or Denton, Maryland
Are you in the Annapolis, Kent Island, or Denton, MD, areas? If so, Smiles by the Bay is ready to create your perfect smile! Chances are, you’ll see a few of our adult patients when you visit our offices. We have more than you might think, so you won’t be alone! Start with a consultation. You’re under no obligation to sign up for our services, but we’re guessing you will when you see how amazing your smile could be! You deserve to have the smile you’ve always wanted, and you can get that at any age at Smiles by the Bay!