As parents, we’ve all been there: It’s time for your child to brush their teeth, but all you get is a big “NO!” Let’s face it: When tooth-brushing becomes routine, kids tend to lose interest. It’s important for them to learn good oral hygiene habits early, so they continue those habits throughout their lifetimes. So how do you get your kids to brush? We have a few ideas that could turn brushing time into fun time!
5 Books About Brushing Teeth
One way to encourage brushing and flossing for your child is to introduce them to favorite characters who love to brush and floss. What better way to do that than with a great book! Here are a few suggestions for books about brushing, flossing, and visiting the dentist:
- Daniel Goes to the Dentist by Alexandra Cassel Schwartz
- The Tooth Book by Dr. Seuss
- My First Visit to the Dentist by Eve Marleau
- Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist by Stan & Jan Berenstain
- Brush, Brush, Brush! By Alicia Padron
Include one of these in storytime before bed. Better still, read the book along with your child. Then you’ll be able to say, “Let’s brush those teeth just like Daniel did!”
5 Fun Songs About Brushing Teeth
Reading about brushing and flossing is fun, but singing about it is a blast! Make some beautiful music with your child by singing along to these dental favorites.
- CoCoMelon: Yes, Yes Brush Your Teeth!
- Sesame Street: Healthy Teeth, Healthy Me!
- Mickey Mouse: Brush to the Beat
- American Dental Association: Dudley: Brush and Floss
- Finny the Shark: Brush Your Teeth
Pull up these songs, grab your toothbrushes, and you and your child can jam out and clean your teeth at the same time!
Make the Toothbrushing Tools Fun!
It’s OK to brush with a plain, soft-bristled toothbrush. Brushing with one that lights up or spins is AWESOME! Children’s toothbrushes come in all kinds of styles and colors nowadays. You can usually find a great variety at your local retail store. Here are a few fun ideas:
Brushing With Fun Toothbrushes
- Glam it up with a little glitter!
- Make your child’s smile REALLY shine with a toothbrush that lights up!
- Let your child pick their favorite color!
- Grab a toothbrush with their favorite character!
- Make it a dance party with a toothbrush that plays music or fun sounds!
Toothpaste Can Be Fun, Too!
- Pick a fun flavor, like bubble gum!
- Pick a favorite color – yes, it comes in different colors!
- Teach your child exactly how much to use — and not swallow it!
Don’t Forget the Floss!
- Have fun flossing with different flavors!
- Find flossers with handles in their favorite colors!
- Make sure they floss FIRST, then brush!
Helping Keep Your Child’s Teeth Healthy
Smiles by the Bay cares about your child and their oral health. We want to do all we can to help you keep your child’s teeth healthy, which can positively affect their overall health! We’re also here for you by providing adult orthodontic care and pediatric orthodontic care.
If you’re in the Annapolis, MD, Kent Island, MD, or Denton, MD, areas, start by setting up a consultation. We’ll provide a thorough evaluation and develop a perfect plan for you or your child. We’ll also be happy to offer more tips on having fun with your child while brushing and flossing. That way, you can shake up the routine and encourage your kiddo to have fun and brush, brush, brush! (And floss!)